Washable wallpaper for the kitchen
The kitchen is the place in the house where the hostess spends a lot of time preparing delicious and healthy food for the whole family. Naturally, splashes from boiling pots, the smallest droplets of oil and other products fall on the walls. In order to effectively maintain the cleanliness of the kitchen and washable wallpaper was invented.
Features and benefits
- The main advantage of washable wallpaper is their moisture resistance and the possibility of their cleansing with water, sponge and detergent. Some types of wallpaper are even resistant to brushing;
- Kitchen washable wallpaper is durable enough and with proper care will serve you for many years;
- Thanks to a huge selection of colors and textures of washable wallpapers, you can easily choose those that fit perfectly into your interior and do not hit the wallet.
- Paper. Since paper is not a moisture-resistant coating, such wallpaper is used for kitchen decoration quite rarely.The only acceptable option could be wallpaper from several layers of paper "for painting" - in this case, you need to choose a special paint that can withstand wet processing;
- Acrylic. Paper-based wallpaper, coated with a polymer coating. The canvas is quite dense, with a velvety top layer, with sufficient wear and moisture resistance. It is recommended not to use detergents and brushes with synthetic bristles when cleaning them;
- Vinyl. Their basis is made of paper or fabric cloth, a layer of polyvinyl chloride is applied on top. This wallpaper is characterized by high strength and moisture resistance, some of their types are even used when finishing the bathroom. They are not subject to fading because of frequent washing or hit of direct sunshine. This wallpaper is called super washable, because when cleaning, you can use almost any kind of detergent and even hard sponges and brushes;
- Flizelinovye. Are a kind of vinyl wallpaper. For their manufacture is used non-woven fabric from a mixture of cellulose and mineral fibers, called flizelinom.These wallpapers are not deformed when gluing, improve sound insulation, as well as withstand up to 15 colors. It is recommended to paint with water-based, acrylic or latex paint;
- Glass fiber or the so-called "matting". Very beautiful, high-strength washable wallpaper. The components used in their manufacture: dolomite, soda, quartz sand, lime - environmentally friendly. This wallpaper is famous for its moisture and heat resistance, they do not appear scratches and holes; they are very easy to glue. Very resistant to detergents containing acids and alkalis. When painting preserve texture;
- Metallized. Modern, very unusual washable wallpaper. They consist of a paper or fabric base and a thin aluminum foil applied on its surface with an embossed pattern. These wallpapers look very aristocratic and expensive, they are well tolerated washing with any detergent. However, it should be remembered that they are airtight, respectively, the room plastered with such wallpaper, you must often and carefully ventilate;
- Liquid. These wallpapers are different from the rest in that they are made in the form of a dry mixture, which must be diluted with water and then covered with walls.In order to be washed after drying, a layer of acrylic lacquer is applied to protect the coating;
- Cork. Make them from the pressed tube. They glue over the wall with sheets, after which they are varnished. Such wallpapers retain their original appearance for a long time, are easy to wash and serve for a long time;
- Self-adhesive plastic wallpaper. Their feature is the presence of a sticky base (fabric or paper), on which a layer of polymer coating is applied. For the kitchen most often used plastic wallpaper with an embossed pattern for painting.
Decor and colors in the interior
In modern building stores from the choice of types and colors of washable wallpaper eyes run up! Whatever your interior - simple or design-sophisticated - you can always choose the necessary pattern and texture of washable wallpaper.
When choosing a color wallpaper for your kitchen, consider the following recommendations:
- You should not overburden the interior with various textures and variegated colors - set accents. If you want to focus on interesting wallpaper, then choose furniture that is neutral in color and without unnecessary decorations; if your kitchen set is designed to attract all the attention to yourself - use plain wallpaper to create a neutral background;
- Do not mix shades of warm and cold colors in the interior. When choosing a harmonious combination of colors, you should pay attention to where the windows of your kitchen go. If they are directed to the north or west, warm shades - cream, beige, yellow, orange are preferable. If south or east - choose shades of the cold spectrum: silver, blue, green;
- There is a mass of special "kitchen" patterns for washable wallpapers - there is a wallpaper with a pattern of food, drinks, fruits and vegetables, as well as a pattern of teapots, mugs, spoons and forks. You can choose such coloring for wallpaper, if your kitchen is not decorated in any particular style, but is simply a place for cooking and decorations for it are tacks hanging on the walls, sets of pans or bright mugs and plates;
- To change the visual space of the kitchen, choose a striped wallpaper. The vertical will extend the walls, the horizontal will extend them. A small strip is preferred;
- If you designed the kitchen in a rustic style - you put solid wood furniture, you use clay trinkets and utensils for decoration - then you can glue wallpaper with a pattern "under the brick" or "under the natural stone."This combination will be very successful, creating the effect of coarse masonry walls and a sort of raid of rustic chic.
How to choose
When choosing washable wallpaper for the kitchen, follow these guidelines:
- Look at the roll label. It should contain information on the technical and operational features of the selected model. It is best to choose wallpaper with high moisture and light resistance, vapor-proof and with a high density of coverage;
- It is advisable not to buy wallpaper with a convex pattern - dirt will accumulate in the relief and remove it from there will be quite difficult;
- Distinguish waterproof and washable wallpaper - the first can not be washed! For kitchen walls, choose only those types of wallpaper that can be washed with water and cleaning products;
- Wallpapers must be resistant to the absorption of a variety of smells.
How to glue
- Be sure to prepare the walls with a primer - the smoother they are, the easier it will be to beautifully and qualitatively glue the wallpaper;
- Wallpapering starts from the window;
- Thick wallpaper glued only butt, ideally, the seam should be almost imperceptible;
- It is very important to choose the right glue - only reliable quality composition designed for heavy fabrics will be suitable for washable wallpapers.
From time to time, the kitchen walls should be cleaned from accumulated fatty deposits, soot, dust, food stains. Here are some tricks to take care of your washable wallpaper:
- Before you wash the kitchen walls completely, you need to check the effect of the selected detergent on the wallpaper. To do this, apply the product to a small invisible area of the wall and wait until it is completely dry. If the wallpaper does not change the color and texture - proceed to cleaning the entire surface;
- You can launder different types of wallpaper in different ways: it is recommended to wipe thinner wallpapers on a paper basis with a soft cloth using a small amount of water; while thicker wallpapers can be treated with various detergents using a sponge and in some cases a brush. Carefully familiarize yourself with the features of care just for your wallpaper, so that they serve for a long time and do not spoil;
- If you have wallpaper in the kitchen with a voluminous pattern, you should thoroughly wash all the dirt and dust that has settled in the relief. Use a small sponge and detergent for this. After - thoroughly wash the picture with clean water;
- Do not wash even heavy-duty wallpaper too often - do it as pollution. Remember that any mechanical effect somehow reduces the life of your wallpaper.
How much are
The cost of washable wallpaper for the kitchen depends on many factors, ranging from materials of manufacture to the manufacturer. The cheapest washable wallpaper - this paper wallpaper with water-repellent impregnation. Their price is very small - about 90 rubles per roll, but it must be remembered that their lifespan is also small (about 3 years). Next on the list are paper wallpapers with content in the composition of vinyl - their cost varies from 120 to 500 rubles per roll. Dense vinyl and non-woven wallpaper are more expensive - from 400 rubles per roll, however, and will last longer. The price of fine metallic wallpaper comes up to several thousand per roll.
Also important is the manufacturer. Domestic and made in Ukraine "Slavic" wallpaper are an order of magnitude lower than European-made wallpaper.
Reading the reviews of people who choose washable wallpaper for the kitchen, we can draw the following conclusion: all of them, as one, note the ease of use, ease of pasting,a huge selection of textures and colors, the possibility of repeated repainting. People are satisfied with the choice made.
Interesting solutions in the interior
Successfully selected washable wallpaper can be a great addition to the interior of your kitchen, make it bright and original. Previously, we considered several types of wallpaper and the rules for selecting colors depending on the design of the kitchen. There is one more very interesting kind of washable wallpaper for the kitchen, which will definitely add a highlight to any interior - photo wallpaper.
Washable wallpaper for the kitchen is better to take vinyl or non-woven, as there will be a need to wash them from various contaminants. It is best to place them on a wall remote from the cooking zone. The theme of the image on the wallpaper should be in harmony with the general style decision of the kitchen design:
- When you make a kitchen in a classic style and the style of "country", choose wallpaper with rustic motifs, still lifes, landscapes. The “apron” of the kitchen at the same time can be decorated with photo wallpapers, imitating a coating of natural materials: brick or masonry, wood, cork, bamboo;
- An extraordinary and very interesting high-tech style suggests unusual volumetric images on photo wallpapers - abstract figures, pictures in the style of “surrealism”, space and urban elements.
Wall murals often become the main accent in the interior, so it is best to place them where the whole picture will be visible in its entirety, rather than cluttered with furniture or household appliances.
The small kitchen will be decorated with photo wallpapers occupying the wall entirely - such a technique will allow you to visually expand the boundaries of the room, give it a volume. But in a large kitchen you can experiment with the arrangement of cloths in a single color scheme and subject matter symmetrically to each other - one of them will be in the cooking zone, the other - in the meal zone. You can also glue the wall mural pieces of kitchen furniture or a door. In general, do not be afraid to dream, experiment and arrange the kitchen in accordance with your own taste and wishes.